May 16, 2011

CMVP review times between 5 and 10 weeks for FIPS 140-2 validations

Back in March, I posted that the CMVP review times for FIPS 140-2 validation reports had significantly improved.  Since good news doesn't travel as fast as the other kind of news, I am still trying to get the word out that FIPS validations do not take as long to complete as they used to. 

The last 8 reports submitted by InfoGard had the following CMVP review times (in weeks -- and I rounded up!): 

2, 2, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7

(Now, the 2-week review times were special cases, but they are worth noting to demonstrate the heightened responsiveness.)  With these data points, I am lowering my Unofficial CMVP Review Time Estimate to "5 to 10 weeks." 

[NOTE:  My definition of "CMVP Review Time" is the time between report submission to the CMVP (Review Pending block on the Modules in Process List) to the day the Laboratory first receives comments from the CMVP (Coordination block on the Module in Process List).]

Share your experience in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment